Restructuring and Bankruptcy
We are among the nation’s premier insolvency firms, specializing in the representation of stakeholders of all types in connection with insolvency matters throughout the United States, as well as insolvency matters that may involve other jurisdictions in Europe, Asia and Latin America. Our lawyers provide legal services in all areas of creditor rights including the review of contracts, restructuring agreements, general insolvency issues, strategic planning, and the discovery and analysis of fraud.
The attorneys at the firm include nationally recognized experts in the bankruptcy restructuring world. We are particularly well known for our representation of official and unofficial committees of unsecured creditors whose members include trade creditors, service providers, bondholders (whether senior, pari passu or subordinated), indenture trustees, undersecured lenders, litigation and liquidation trusts, unions, governmental entities, landlords, class action plaintiffs, former officers, directors and employees. We also serve as mediators, trustees or act in other roles in insolvency matters as needed.
Official Committees of Unsecured Creditors
The firm has represented an extensive list of official committees in complex, high-profile Chapter 11 reorganizations involving companies with multi-billion-dollar annual revenues, numerous labor unions, complex capital structures and a myriad of business and legal issues.
We have been involved in bankruptcy cases for companies across a wide range of industries, including national, regional and local retailers; nursing homes, drug store chains and other healthcare providers; steel manufacturing companies; apparel companies; airlines; chemical, plastic and other types of industrial companies; real estate entities; and food and restaurant service companies.
We have significant experience with:
- Issues that require in-depth knowledge of the Bankruptcy Code, the Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure, and local rules
- Case administration, including the day-to-day organizational needs of creditors’ committees
- The structuring, negotiation and documentation of reorganization plans
Our expertise in the bankruptcy field is augmented by a wide network of relationships with sources of equity funding, sponsors of plans of reorganization, investment banking firms, financial advisory firms, real estate consultants, industry experts, liquidation specialists and judges, practitioners, receivers, trustees and United States Trustees throughout the United States and worldwide. These relationships are part of the unique value we bring to our clients and enhance our ability to achieve superior results.
Unofficial Committees of Unsecured Creditors and Litigation/Liquidation Trusts
We represent ad hoc/unofficial groups of unsecured creditors, both before the commencement of bankruptcy proceedings for out-of-court restructurings, in pre-packaged Chapter 11 cases, and throughout Chapter 11 proceedings. The firm also provides pre-petition, out of court committees with the knowledge and expertise needed to maximize value, minimize exposure and restructure their companies without resort to Chapter 11 proceedings.
Our lawyers assist post-confirmation committees and litigation/liquidation trusts in many areas requiring specific expertise in investigations whether domestic or worldwide, both during and after Chapter 11 cases. We are regularly engaged in the recovery of preferences and other avoidance actions, as well as claims reconciliation and objections. Our assistance includes advice on the most effective use of litigation/liquidation trusts to manage and enhance creditor recoveries. We handle all aspects of post-confirmation matters, from confirmation of the Chapter 11 plan of reorganization through the conclusion of recovery efforts and the wind-down of post-confirmation committees.
Individual Creditor Representations
We represent consumer electronic companies, textile companies, financial institutions (including factoring companies), governmental agencies and many other individual creditors in bankruptcy proceedings nationwide. Engagements may involve:
- Assertion of reclamation rights and rights as a “20-day creditor” for payments for goods sold
- Rights of secured creditors
- Defenses against preference avoidance claims and other litigation matters
- Acquisition of assets or businesses from a Chapter 11 debtor-in-possession
The firm represents companies across a broad spectrum of industries, both in and out of court, as part of an effort to restructure debts, preserve jobs, and generally maximize value for all stakeholders. Clients include printing, retailing, healthcare, textiles, manufacturing and distribution companies, among others.
Other Insolvency Roles
Members of the firm serve as mediators, trustees, auditors, examiners and have fulfilled other key fiduciary roles that a particular case may require. Judges, United States Trustees and other key stakeholders are willing to assign such positions to us because of our expertise and the quality of the efforts we bring to such engagements.Top of Page
- $800 Million Fraudulent Transfer Action Against Bank of America Dismissed
- 11 Otterbourg Attorneys Included in the 2013 Super Lawyers Business Edition
- 6th Annual International Lending Conference: Otterbourg Attorneys Lead Panels
- A Chat Among the Chief Judges of the Federal Courts in the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- A Judges' Chat Across the Rivers
- ABI Bankruptcy Conference: Otterbourg Attorney Speaks on Plan Confirmation Issues
- ABI Views from the Bench: Ethics and Social Media
- Advising Distressed Businesses and Business Bankruptcy Cases
- American Bankruptcy Institute Conference to Include Otterbourg Partner
- Appointment to Chapter 11 Lawyers’ Advisory Committee
- Bankruptcy Ethics Panel at 2013 Hyde Park Conference
- Bankruptcy Litigation Update
- Beware the Traps: Ethical and Fiduciary Issues for Committee Members and Professionals
- Breaking Up is Hard to Do: Law Firm Bankruptcies
- Commercial Finance Association Files an Amicus Brief on Appeal to the Ninth Circuit
- CRF Webinar: Chapter 11 Reform: How Would Trade Creditors Fare?
- Federal Judge Selects Otterbourg Attorney for Southern District Advisory Group
- Interfaith Medical Center to Emerge from Bankruptcy with Otterbourg Partner as Restructuring Officer
- Is Bankruptcy A Game-Changer for Embattled Providers?
- Judicial Voices on Transition: From the Bar to the Bench and Beyond
- Otterbourg Attorney Appointed by Court as Trustee in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy
- Otterbourg Attorney Leads Panel on New Trends in Chapter 11 Plans
- Otterbourg Attorney Moderates Panel for the Women's Division of the New York Institute of Credit
- Otterbourg Attorney Moderates Panel on Developments in Lending Market for CFA/NYIC Event
- Otterbourg Attorney Named an Outstanding Restructuring Lawyer 2013
- Otterbourg Attorney Participates in Panel on "The Trump Effect"
- Otterbourg Attorney Speaks at ABI Bankruptcy Conference
- Otterbourg Attorney Speaks at Distressed M&A Deal Forum
- Otterbourg Attorney Speaks at New York American Bankruptcy Conference
- Otterbourg Attorney to Serve as Co-Chair of ABI Unsecured Trade Creditors Committee
- Otterbourg Attorneys Give Program on Intercreditor Agreements for Loan Syndication and Trading Association
- Otterbourg Attorneys Named 2015 Super Lawyers
- Otterbourg Attorneys Speak at American Bankruptcy Institute Conference
- Otterbourg Establishes Women in Finance Luncheon Series
- Otterbourg Expands Its Bankruptcy and Finance Practices with the Hiring of Keith Costa and Michael Wenger
- Otterbourg Faculty for Asset-Based Lending Advanced Legal Issues Workshop
- Otterbourg Named Financial Services Law Firm and Restructuring Law Firm of the Year
- Otterbourg Named New York Financial Services Law Firm of the Year
- Otterbourg Names Daniel Fiorillo as Head of Firm’s Restructuring Practice
- Otterbourg Names Melanie L. Cyganowski Chair of Restructuring and Bankruptcy Practice
- Otterbourg Panel on Dealing with Troubled Investments at Private Equity Conference
- Otterbourg Panelist at American Bankruptcy Institute Annual Meeting
- Otterbourg Partner and Former Bankruptcy Chief Judge Selected As Referee for Sale of Stuyvesant Town and Peter Cooper Village
- Otterbourg Partner Awarded 5th Annual Honorable Burton R. Lifland Mentor of the Year Award
- Otterbourg Partner Leads Panel of Judges of the US Bankruptcy Courts in New York
- Otterbourg Partner Named a Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy
- Otterbourg Partner Named First “Temporary Operator” of a Major NY Hospital
- Otterbourg Partner Presents on Mediation in Federal Courts
- Otterbourg Partner Receives 67th Annual Top Hat Award
- Otterbourg Partner Speaks at National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges
- Otterbourg Partner Speaks at The Women's Bankruptcy Group
- Otterbourg Partner to Present Achievement Award to Judge Craig
- Otterbourg Presents at 5th Annual International Lending Conference
- Otterbourg Presents Award at 5th Annual Women in Achievement Awards
- Otterbourg Presents on the Dilemma of the "Modern" Chapter 11 Case
- Otterbourg Receives Five Tier 1 Rankings from U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers
- Otterbourg Receives Tier 1 Rankings from US News & World Report and Best Lawyers
- Otterbourg Speaker on Landlords and Retail Bankruptcy
- Otterbourg Successfully Represents Law Firm in Bankruptcy Fee Case
- Otterbourg Webinar: Is Section 363 All You Need to Know About Chapter 11?
- Otterbourg’s Melanie Cyganowski Named One of Nation’s 75 “Outstanding Women Lawyers”
- Practical Skills--Basics of Bankruptcy Practice Program
- Presentation at American Bankruptcy Institute Hearing on Reform of the Bankruptcy Code
- Presentation at F&D Reports Quarterly Meeting on Fresh & Easy Chapter 11
- Private Equity and Venture Capital Conference
- Program on ABI Recommendations for Reform of Bankruptcy Code
- Program on Critical Vendor and Trade Supply Agreements
- Real Estate Financing and Related Bankruptcy Topics
- Selection of Otterbourg Attorney for American College of Bankruptcy
- Six Otterbourg Attorneys Listed in the Best Lawyers in America
- The Changing Landscape of Debtor-in-Possession Financing
- The Latest Developments in Finance Law: Otterbourg Attorney Participates in Industry Discussion
- Two Partners at Otterbourg Selected as Top Women Lawyers in New York
- Virtual Roundtable on Bankruptcy & Restructuring 2013
- Where is the ABL Market Trending? 3rd Annual NYIC/CFA Joint Event
- William O'Neill Regional Bankruptcy Institute: Program on Section 546 of Bankruptcy Code